Custom settings for payment, postage & returns information
On 2 May 2012, eBay commenced inviting sellers to opt in to a new way to create and manage their own custom settings for payment, postage and returns information and apply them to their listings quickly and easily from one central location within My eBay. The invitations are being issued gradually, but will be available to all sellers by 15 July.
These custom settings are called ‘business policies’ and are aimed at saving you time when creating and updating listings.
- Use business policies to save time and reduce errors – define policies once and reuse them multiple times. Add the information to your listings with just a few clicks
- If you choose to change a policy, all linked listings will automatically update
- Set the policies that you’ll use most often as your default, and create different policies to apply to different types of listings as you list. For example, listing in unusual categories; or specifying postage and returns for heavy or refurbished items
- You can use business policies through My eBay, most eBay listing tools including TurboLister and the API, and various third-party tools.
- When prompted, you can opt-in to use business policies via My eBay
- Review the custom set of business policies for postage, returns and payment information
- eBay will automatically assign a default policy for each payment, postage and returns based on the options that you have used most in your listing history, as well as listing templates. When you list an item, your default policy will be pre-selected and you can choose to list using the default, choose another existing policy, or create a new policy as needed
- No live listings will be affected when you opt in to business policies. You’ll always be able to approve which policy is applied to a listing before the listing goes live.
Use the Manage business policies page in My eBay Account > Business policies to:
- Create a new policy from scratch
- Create a copy of an existing policy
- Edit existing policies
- Change your default policies
- Delete a policy, if there are no live listings associated with that policy
- Reassign listings to a different policy
- Try to keep to a limited number of policies so that it’s easier to maintain them. Periodically review your existing policies and consolidate them, if possible, to keep listing quick and easy
- View the help links from the business policies page for tips on how to create, update and manage your policies
- Keep your business policy wording simple and avoid using negative language as this can be a turn off for buyers.
1. What are business policies?
Business policies are your own custom settings for postage, returns and payment information that can be managed from one central location within My eBay to save you time when creating and updating listings. You can create multiple policies for each combination of payment, postage and returns configurations; and select the business policies you want to apply to a particular listing, or listings, as you list with just a few clicks.
2. What specific policies can I manage?
You can use business policies to specify information for payments, postage and returns. You can include the following details:
- Accepted payment methods
- PayPal address
- Additional checkout/ payment instructions
- Domestic postage type
- Domestic postage discounts
- Postage services
- Apply domestic rate table option (in applicable countries)
- International postage type
- International post-to locations
- International postage services
- International postage cost
- International postage discounts
- Postage cost
- Handling time
- Reason for extended handling time (in applicable countries)
- Exclude post-to location
- Whether returns are accepted or not
- Timeframe (14 day, 30 day, etc.)
- Refund method
- Whether you or the buyer pays return postage
3. Can I use business policies to apply different policies to different listings?
Yes, you can define as many variations of your postage, return and payment policies as you need and save them as different business policies. At the time of listing, you can choose the policies that apply to that particular listing. You may use different combinations of payment, postage and returns information on each of your listings.
4. When will business policies be available?
Business policies will be made available to sellers gradually starting 2 May 2012 and will be available to all sellers by 15 July 2012.
5. How will I know when I can opt in to business policies?
You will see a business policies banner appear in My eBay Selling, Selling Manager or Selling Manager Pro. The banner will invite you to opt-in and provide you with all of the necessary information about using business policies.
You can opt-in at any time once this functionality is available to you.
6. Am I required to use business policies?
Using business policies is optional for now. You can choose to opt out of business policies from the Manage business policies page within My eBay Account. In the near future, business policies will be the standard way to specify this information in your listings.
7. How do I start using business policies?
Read the Getting Started section above for step-by-step instructions.
8. Where do I go to find and manage my business policies?
Once you opt in,
to see your business policies go to My eBay -> Account -> Business policies
. You will be able to select from your automatically generated set of business policies or add new ones as needed when you go through the listing process.
Click the Help link from the business policies page for tips on how to create, update and manage your policies.
9. Is there a limit to the number of business policies that I can have?
There is no limit to the number of business policies you can maintain but we recommend you try to keep the number of policies small so that it’s easier to maintain them. We recommend you periodically review your existing policies and consolidate them if possible.
10. Can I name the business policies so that I know which postage policy applies to my electronics listings vs. my homewares listings?
Yes, you can edit your policies from the Business policies page to name and rename them based on your requirements.
11. If business policies are not available to me, can I opt in sooner, or do I have to wait until I get invited to use them?
You will need to wait for business policies to be available to you. You will be notified by a business policies banner in My eBay Selling, Selling Manager or Selling Manager Pro. Business policies commenced being introduced on 2 May 2012 and will be available to all sellers by 15 July 2012.
12. Will business policies be available in all selling tools?
Business policies will be available in the following selling tools and on-site listing flows:
- Sell Your Item form
- Revise Your Item form
- All Bulk Listing Management flows
- Turbo Lister
- Blackthorne and Blackthorne Pro
- File Exchange
- Some participating third party selling applications. Please contact your third party application provider for more information
13. What can I do to help improve the business policies functionality?
eBay is introducing business policies to help you better manage your listings. After you start using business policies, send us your feedback by clicking the Send feedback link on the business policies page under “My eBay account”. Your suggestions will help us determine additional improvements and enhancements.