Zero day handling time option for same day dispatch
4 April 2012 UPDATE: The launch of the Zero day handling time option has been delayed until late 2012.
Quick and efficient handling time is increasingly important to buyers when they shop online. The following updates will help you to set accurate expectations for item delivery and may help to improve your detailed seller ratings for postage time.
From late 2012, you’ll be able to show same day dispatch on your listings. You’ll also be able to give reasons for longer handling times in the case of pre-sale or custom items.
Zero day handling time option
Same day dispatch
Set an option to show same day dispatch on your listings and the cut-off time by which purchases need to be made to qualify for the same day service.
You’ll be able to set these options through business policies, My eBay or eBay selling tools.
The default value for cut-off time is 5PM AEST, but you can change this to suit your business.
Including reasons for longer dispatch times
- It’s important to set a reasonable cut-off time to ensure that you’re able to meet buyer expectations consistently
- It won’t be possible to set different cut-off times for different listings. Your cut-off time for same day dispatch will be displayed for all selected listings.
Use business policies to specify why an item needs a handling time of more than three days. For example, you may want to be clear that you’re selling a custom-made item.
If you don’t already offer same day delivery, review your business processes to see if you can offer this service.
|If you currently provide same day delivery, but this is not reflected in your listings, update your listings with the new same day delivery option through business policies, My eBay or eBay selling tools.
|If your item needs a handling time of more than three days, select a reason to explain the longer handling time for that item through business policies.
- The default order cut-off time is 5PM AEST for same day handling. You can update this order cut-off time in postage preferences so that you have sufficient time to post items on the same day. Orders placed after your specified order cut-off time will move the delivery estimate by an additional business day
- Always offer three days or less handling time. For items that need more than three days handling time, you can specify a reason for longer handling in your business policies
- Make sure there’s no lag between when the order is received and when the buyer pays by requiring Immediate Payment for fixed price listings.
- Upload tracking information for all postage. That way, both you and your buyer can check the status of a package at any time.
1. Can I highlight to buyers a different service for domestic and international delivery?
No. You won’t be able to differentiate between domestic and international handling times.
2. How can I be sure that the buyer has paid before I post the item?
Buyers will be required to pay immediately to benefit from next-day delivery where it is offered.
3. Will it be compulsory to select reasons for long handling time?
No. This feature is available to sellers on an optional basis.
4. What are the benefits of selecting reasons for long handling time?
Where longer handling times are necessary, stating the reasons helps to give buyers accurate expectations of delivery and may help increase your sales.
- You’ll be able to select from a list of common reasons for long handling time. You won’t be able to create additional reasons or customise existing ones
- Your selected reason for long handling time will be shown on the item page, providing such information clearly may help to reduce buyer questions and improve your detailed seller ratings for dispatch time.
5. How do I prevent eBay displaying messaging to buyers about my long handling time?
Sellers won’t be able to opt out of displaying the message. Our testing has shown that highlighting listings with long handling times can provide considerable benefits to both buyers and sellers by ensuring accurate delivery expectations are set.
6. Can I use the new dispatch time options in all selling tools?
All eBay selling tools will support the new dispatch time options. Make sure you have the latest versions of eBay tools.
If you use a third-party application to list on eBay, please contact your application provider with any queries on how they support these changes.
7. When will the new settings display on my Good ‘Til Cancelled listings?
Good ‘Til Cancelled listings will automatically reflect changes to dispatch time and long handling time settings when the new handling time option goes live in late 2012.